Thursday, January 6, 2011

Time

So here is something that has been bothering me. Our conventions of time. I mean, our whole system of recording it is totally absurd. So first, you have a second. Nevermind the fact that a second is defined as "the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom" I mean, that is an extrememly arbitrary and stupid definition for which the entire construct of Amtrak is based on, no wonder they can never stick to their schedules. Next you have 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in an hour, although I don't know why we're basing time off of geometry now, although I guess I can kind of put up with that, but here is where it just becomes nonsensical. 24 Hours = 1 Day? Seriously time committee, now you are just grasping at straws. Finally, why in the world did we decide to use miliseconds? We are not Europe, we don't use metrics. This is America dammit! Wouldn't it make more sense to use 1/9,192,631,770 CS131 radiation periods? That is the actual fraction of a second, after all.


My solution:
Although I just dumped on the metric system, I think its the best solution. It would go like this:
Milisecond: 1/1000'th of a second
Second: Same foolish unit
Minute: 1000 seconds
Hour: 1000 minutes
Day: 1000 hours


Now doesn't that make so much more sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment